Former Malaysian Rubber Board chairman Ahmad Nazlan Idris says he has nothing to hide. (Facebook pic)

PETALING JAYA: Former Malaysian Rubber Board (MRB) chairman Ahmad Nazlan Idris, who is set to continue giving his statement to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Agency (MACC) over an alleged land scandal involving the government agency for another two days, says he is doing this to clear his name.

The Jerantut MP, who had already spent eight hours at MACC on Thursday and Friday, said it does not matter even if it takes a much longer time than this because he had been unfairly accused of being involved in the land deal when he was actually against it.

He said not only did this allegation circulate on social media, his constituents were asking him to clear his name as they knew his track record.

Nazlan said that after his term as board chairman ended on April 14, a year before his contract was due to expire, he had gone to meet the prime minister to explain several issues, including the land matter which he felt had caused much concern among several people.

“The prime minister listened to what I had said but he did not tell me anything then,” he told FMT yesterday.

He said he declared that he was willing to meet MACC to give his side of the story after there were calls, including one from former plantation industries and commodities minister Teresa Kok, to explain the sale.

“As I have said before, I have nothing to hide and that is why I am prepared to meet MACC officials to explain. My action is not aimed at getting anyone into trouble but for the truth to prevail,” he said.

READ  Terengganu govt channels RM400,000 to residents affected by EMCO in Besut, says state exco

He said the questioning was take some time as there were a lot of technical matters he had to clarify over the land issue, adding that he had been given the impression MACC wanted to finish its investigation as soon as possible.

He said he is scheduled to go to MACC today and tomorrow.

The LGM Properties Corporation land sale and lease issue, which plantation industries and commodities minister Khairuddin Aman Razali denied had been sealed nor approved by the board, came out into the open after copies of the alleged proposal were viralled on social media.

There have been allegations that Khairuddin “supported” the lease of two plots of land at Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur, owned by MRB, below the market rate.

An NGO revealed several official letters dated Dec 18, 2020 and Jan 6 and March 11 this year allegedly related to land owned by MRB. The minister has since lodged a police report over these allegations and has sent a letter of demand to the NGO which published the claims.

Nazlan maintained that MRB’s board of directors viewed this issue seriously and had formed three task forces while taking steps to improve the running of LGM, a corporation owned by MRB.

He said the minister did get involved in the matter and denied that he had any connection to the scandal, adding that his contract had been terminated by then.

He also said that he had recently been informed about his appointment as chairman of the Malaysian Palm Oil Board by the minister and ministry’s secretary-general. However, he turned it down.

READ  Malaysian government-linked Assemblyman claims trial in Tamil Tiger case



READ SOURCE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here