SINGAPORE – More than 65 builders have been found to have flouted safe management measures (SMM) since they were tightened on May 16, including 26 builders which were ordered to stop work for three days.
In a statement on Wednesday (June 2) the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) said the 26 builders were found to have allowed workers or visitors into their worksites without performing a SafeEntry check-in at the site entrances.
These included two sites which had let in Covid-positive workers, thus exposing the rest of the workforce to the risk of Covid-19 transmission.
For failing to ensure that workers or visitors check-in before entering the worksites, BCA had issued a three-day stop work orders to these 26 builders to halt all activities on-site.
The orders will be lifted after builders review their SMM plan, rectify all non-compliances and submit a compliance report to BCA.
Sites that are found with Covid-positive cases will need to do a thorough disinfection before works can resume, BCA added.
BCA has stepped up its checks and conducted more than 900 inspections per week at construction worksites to ensure that builders are doing their part to reduce the risk of Covid-19 transmission among the construction workforce, while keeping construction works going as much as possible.
The number of inspections is triple the average of 300 inspections that BCA conducted per week from June last year.
BCA said a key concern arising from its checks is the lack of rigour in deploying TraceTogether-only SafeEntry or ensuring SafeEntry check-in at worksite entrances.