China

China #MeToo activist Huang sentenced to five years on subversion charges, supporters say



GUANGZHOU/BEIJING — Leading Chinese #MeToo activist Huang Xueqin was sentenced to five years in prison after being found guilty on Friday (June 14) of subverting state power at a court in southern China, according to a group campaigning for her release and a copy of the verdict.

Huang, a 35-year-old independent journalist, plans to appeal, supporters said. Labour activist Wang Jianbing, 40, who stood trial with Huang, was sentenced to three years and six months. It was not immediately clear if he will appeal.

A spokesperson for the group Free Huang Xueqin and Wang Jianbing, said the group believed Chinese authorities were using national security as a pretext to suppress social welfare activists.

“This is a denial and obliteration of the value of social justice as well as a denial of moderate voices in civil society. This is a very bad sign,” the person said, asking to remain anonymous due to safety concerns.

The pair have been detained by Chinese authorities since September 2021 and Saturday will mark 1,000 days since they were arrested. They denied any wrongdoing during the closed-door trial last year, supporters have said.



READ SOURCE

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.