The death toll from the coronavirus is continuing to rise, with more than 1770 confirmed fatalities from the virus.

Health authorities in China’s Hubei province, where the virus first emerged, announced on Monday that 100 more people had died as a result of the coronavirus.

This brings the death told in mainland China to 1765 and the global number of fatalities 1770.

More than 71,200 cases of the coronavirus have been confirmed worldwide, with the number of infected passing 70,000 in mainland China alone.

Of the new cases announced, 1690 were confirmed in the Hubei capital of Wuhan, the city believed to be the epicentre of the outbreak.

The number of new cases of the COVID-19 strain spiked last week when officials in Hubei changed their criteria for counting cases to include people diagnosed through lung imaging.

This decision meant that 14,000 cases were retroactively added to the total in a single day.

The number of new cases in the province on Monday was around 100 higher than those on Sunday but still sharply down from those reported on Friday and Saturday.

The new figures were released as international experts in a World Health Organisation-led joint mission had arrived in Beijing and had their first meeting with their Chinese counterparts.

“We look forward to this vitally important collaboration contributing to global knowledge about the #COVID19 outbreak,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Twitter.

Mi Feng, National Health Commission spokesman, said Sunday that slowing case numbers nationally showed that China was controlling the outbreak.

But Tedros has warned it is “impossible to predict which direction this epidemic will take”.

READ  In US-China phase one trade deal, enforcement may end in 'We quit'

The UN health body has also asked China for more details on how diagnoses are being made.

These discussions come after China’s Hubei province was accused of failing to act on the outbreak early enough, allowing it to spread around the world.

The Communist Party bosses of both Hubei and Wuhan have been dismissed and Hubei has recently announced tough new measures to try and bring the crisis under control

Chinese authorities have already placed about 56 million people in Hubei under strict quarantine, with authorities announcing on Sunday movement across the province was going to be tightened even more.

This includes broad instructions that residential compounds and villages be “sealed off” from unnecessary visitors, with tenants’ outings “strictly managed”.



READ SOURCE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here