Welcome to our new live blog. Helen Davidson here to take you through the next few hours
Here the latest key developments at a glance:
- France reported 13,498 new confirmed coronavirus cases on Saturday, setting another record in daily additional infections since the disease started to spread in the country.
- The UK reported 4,422 new daily cases of coronavirus on Saturday, 100 more new cases than on Friday and the highest daily total since 8 May.
- The taskforce backing a huge gas expansion to help drive Australia’s Covid-19 recovery was receiving “pro bono” advice from a lobbyist firm with links to the Saudi government and gas companies.
- Brazil recorded 33,057 additional confirmed cases of coronavirus in the past 24 hours, and 739 deaths from the disease.
- The World Health Organization has endorsed a protocol for testing African herbal medicines as potential treatments for coronavirus and other epidemics.
- The London mayor, Sadiq Khan, has warned that the English capital needs fresh Covid restrictions by Monday if it is to avoid a big spike in infections, while doctors are urging the government to introduce stronger coronavirus measures in England to drive down case numbers and avoid another national lockdown.
- The Philippines reported 3,962 new coronavirus infections and 100 additional deaths, with both numbers the highest in five days.
- Ontario, Canada’s most populous province, is cracking down on private social gatherings as coronavirus cases surge.
- After Poland reported record daily new coronavirus cases on Saturday, neighbouring Lithuania and Slovakia also logged their largest daily tallies since the pandemic began.
- A partial lockdown is set to begin in some of Madrid’s poorer districts next week, but residents of one of the worst-hit neighbourhood’s said today they doubted the new measures would work.