Manchester United seemed as if they were going to hold on for a point against Young Boys thanks to Cristiano Ronaldo’s opener, but Jesse Lingard’s error proved costly
Cristiano Ronaldo is looking to put Manchester United’s disappointing defeat to Young Boys behind him quickly after he was subbed off against the Swiss side.
The 36-year-old’s hot start since re-joining the Red Devils continued as he made it two goals from his first three games with a clinical opening strike.
But that’s as good as it got for United as Aaron Wan-Bissaka was sent off in the first half which turned the game on its head.
Moumi Ngamaleu equalised for the hosts as he beat Raphael Varane to the near post with a clever toe-poke past David de Gea.
Was it a mistake for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to substitute Cristiano Ronaldo? Comment below
The Red Devils seemed as if they were going to hold on for a point as the pressure from Young Boys mounted, but Jesse Lingard’s costly error handed the home side the three points.
The midfielder’s slack back pass to De Gea was picked off by Jordan Siebatche who fired it past the Spanish keeper to secure the three points.
The Old Trafford faithful were raging that Ronaldo was substituted in the second half as United would go on to lose the game.
But the 36-year-old is already looking forward to the next game away to West Ham at the weekend as he reacted to the sickening defeat in Switzerland.
He said on Instagram : “Wasn’t the result we wanted, but now it’s time to recover well and focus on the next game!”
Solskjaer revealed he always planned to take Ronaldo and Bruno Fernandes off to give them some rest after the weekend’s victory against Newcastle United.
He said: “The game had gone 70-odd minutes, they [Ronaldo and Bruno Fernandes] had been running a lot both Saturday and today.
“The artificial grass takes its toll as well, and we wanted Nemanja [Matic’s] experience to keep hold of the ball and Jesse’s legs.”