Besides the new enhanced movement control order at a village in Kota Kinabalu, the existing EMCO at five villages in Besut, Terengganu, has been extended another two weeks.

PETALING JAYA: A village in Kota Kinabalu will be placed under a two-week lockdown, starting from tomorrow until May 9.

Senior minister for security Ismail Sabri Yaakob said that the health ministry had reported a surge in Covid-19 cases in Kampung Dambai Inanam.

“Up to now, the health ministry has conducted 74 tests and detected six positive cases in the past one week,” he said in his statement today.

Meanwhile the government will be extending the enhanced movement control order (EMCO) for another 14 days in five villages in Besut, Terengganu, beginning from Wednesday.

Ismail said there are still new Covid-19 cases recorded in the villages — Kampung Belaoh, Kampung PPRT Belaoh Baru, Kampung Keruak, Kampung Pak Sik and Felcra Keruak.

The lockdown was scheduled to end on May 4.

Besides that, the EMCO imposed at Tapah Prison and Kampung Meruntum, Putatan, Sabah, will end on Monday.

Ismail said that the situation at Tapah Prison was now under control and the number of cases has gone down. A total of 921 cases have been reported there so far.

“For Kampung Meruntum, we also saw a drop in Covid-19 cases,” he added.

Ismail also said the authorities arrested 243 people yesterday for MCO offences. Out of this number, 219 were slapped with compound fines while 24 others were remanded.

Among the offences were failure to wear face masks, failure to register before entering premises as well as attending nightclubs.



READ SOURCE

READ  Kuching right place to hold national language congress, says SUPP

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here