Liverpool forward Diogo Jota is set to be handed a new lucrative deal after meeting his performance expectations at Anfield.
Jota still has three years to run on the contract he signed upon joining the Reds in 2020 from Wolves for £40million.
But following an exceptional start to life under Jurgen Klopp, the 25-year-old can expect a healthy pay-rise according to The Telegraph, as Liverpool look to tie down the Portugal international for the long-term.
While he played mainly in a central role in the last campaign, he is capable of playing across the front line and will more likely play on the wing this season due to the big money arrival of Darwin Nunez from Benfica.
Even after the departures of Sadio Mane and Divock Origi, Klopp still has an abundance of talent up top courtesy of Jota, Nunez, Luis Diaz, Roberto Firmino, and Mohamed Salah, the latter having signed a contract extension of his own earlier this summer.
‘We had two or three or four years where it was always clear before the pre-season we started up front with Sadio, Bobby [Firmino] and Mo,’ Klopp said recently.
‘Now the door is open for pretty much everybody. That is what we have to use. We have so many different, interesting options. That is what I like.’
However, Klopp won’t be able to select Jota for Liverpool’s opening Premier League game of the season at Fulham on Saturday.
He missed most of pre-season with a hamstring injury, including the Community Shield victory over Manchester City last Saturday, and is not expected back any tiem soon.
While no return date is known, Klopp has said that his recovery: ‘Will take a while, unfortunately.’
For more stories like this, check our sport page.