S'porean on trial for murder in UK knelt on wife as he smothered her, pathology report suggests

Dr Bolton confirmed that the toxicology reports showed there was no alcohol or drugs detected in the victim’s blood or urine. She also confirmed that Madam Pek’s saliva and blood were found on the underside of the pillow and Fong’s DNA was found on the top.

The pathologist concluded that while the haemorrhages are not sinister in and of themselves, they are a marker of some form of airway obstruction or pressure to the neck.

Dr Bolton told the jury that all the evidence led her to conclude that the cause of the victim’s death was smothering. She explained that for this to happen, there must be an interruption of oxygen getting into the bloodstream for a long enough time for someone to become unconscious and then to die.

“This is not an immediate process. It is likely to take a small number of minutes,” the court heard.

The size and position of the bruises on the front of the shoulders “raise the possibility” that the victim had been knelt on while the pillow was held over her face, Dr Bolton suggested. But there was nothing to say that she was the victim of a sustained blunt force assault such as punches or heavy slaps, she told the jury, and there was no evidence of a struggle.

Next to take the stand for the prosecution on Wednesday was Detective Constable Mark Wedderburn, who was responsible for putting together a sequence of events. His evidence included written statements, photographs, maps, videos and audio.

The prosecutor took the court through the events, explaining that on Nov 22, last year, Fong and Madam Pek arrived at Glasgow International Airport before travelling to the Isle of Skye. On Nov 27, Fong returned to the hotel they were staying in, alone and in a “dishevelled state”, reporting that he had slipped down a steep bank while taking a photo. Witnesses later said he tripped over some piping and rolled down an embankment.

See also  Singapore's position on water issue with Malaysia

The next day, Fong was taken to the Dr MacKinnon Memorial Hospital on the Isle of Skye where he was kept overnight and given painkilling medication, including morphine. He was discharged the next morning and given further medication. Later that day, he went to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness but was discharged with no further treatment.