Sports

Todd Boehly tells Cesar Azpilicueta he can’t leave Chelsea despite strong Barcelona links


Cesar Azpilicueta has been told by Todd Boehly that he must stay at Chelsea (Picture: Getty)

Chelsea owner Todd Boehly has told Cesar Azpilicueta he cannot leave Chelsea despite strong interest from Barcelona, according to reports.

Barcelona boss Xaxi recently told Chelsea duo Azpilicueta and Marcos Alonso that he will do ‘everything possible’ to sign them this summer.

The relationship between the two clubs took a recent hit when the La Liga side hijacked a move for Sevilla defender Jules Kounde, who had agreed to join the Blues and the club had been expecting him to arrive at Stamford Bridge.

Kounde joining Barcelona has been a substantial blow to Chelsea’s transfer plans and the Premier League side are believed to be ‘angry’ over the situation, especially as Xavi’s side are still trying to sign Azpilicueta and Alonso.

New Blues owner Boehly, who succeeded Roman Abramovich at the end of May, is now blocking the Chelsea captain from joining the Catalan giants, according to The Times.

Chelsea have already lost Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen this summer to Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively, and though they have signed Kalidou Koulibaly permanently they want more defensive reinforcements before they allow Azpilicueta and Alonso to leave.

Meanwhile, the west London side have failed with an opening £63m bid for Leicester City centre-back Wesley Fofana.

Wesley Fofana is keen on a move to Stamford Bridge this summer (Picture: Getty)

The Frenchman, 24, is keen on a move to Stamford Bridge and has made it clear to the Foxes that he wants to leave the club.

Leicester are desperate to keep Fofana and they’ve set an asking price of £80m for the defender, in the hope that the valuation will put Chelsea off a move.

However, Chelsea are persisting with their move for Fofana in the knowledge that he wants to join them.

Chelsea have already agreed the outlines of a salary with Fofana and he stands to significantly increase his wages in west London.

However, agreeing a deal with Leicester is far more complicated, and Chelsea have failed with an opening bid for the defender.

Chelsea’s season gets underway on August 6 when they travel to face Everton.


MORE : Chelsea reject Inter’s request in £20m deal to sign Cesare Casadei


MORE : Brighton claim they have not agreed to sell Marc Cucurella to Chelsea

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on
FacebookTwitter and Instagram
.





READ SOURCE

See also  Rio Ferdinand says Antonio Rudiger will ‘regret’ actions after Chelsea’s defeat to Real Madrid